Inching Closer to Exams!

    Only a few weeks left. We are almost there! I know that everyone on campus is not looking forward to their exams in the next few weeks but just know that we are this close to winter break! As I approach dead week, it's important that I am taking in all of the information in class to give myself the best chance of getting a good grade on the exam. Dead week is nice considering we get a lot of time to prepare for our exams. It allows me to take a deep breath and recap everything that I have learned over the course of the semester. Procrastination is something that I deal with and I feel everyone on campus deals with in some form. Although it is normal to procrastinate sometimes, exams are not a time to put off studying in the last minute. I have procrastinated on assignments and exams in the past and I can say from experience that I did not do so hot on those exams. The exam period is grueling for everybody, regardless of how many exams you have that week. I myself have three exams this semester and I will be headed home on Wednesday. However, that does not give me any excuses to slack off in the coming weeks. There are many classes that I am on the bubble with grades and that these exams can either make or break my final grade. With that being said, I think it's important to attend review sessions whenever they are offered, and also attend office hours to ask questions to clear up any grey areas that you may have over the material on the exam. 

    Some things that I find necessary getting closer to exams is eating healthy and sleeping right. I know there are many people on campus that like to stay up late with their buddies, or play videogames until 2:00am. However, studies show that when you eat a healthy, and balanced breakfast and get at least 8 hours of sleep, you will see a dramatic change in your ability to take exams. I also feel the library can be my best friend during exam week because it allows me to block out any outside noise and grind out some studying. Another thing that has helped me succeed on my exams is creating a personal study guide of what I feel are the main topics of the material being covered on the exam. Creating outlines and guides in your head will certainly give you an edge with your studying. My professors however I feel are my biggest asset to achieving success on my exams. They are here to help you succeed and ultimately get a degree. With that, it's important to go to office hours and ask questions to clear up any missing pieces in your studying. The last piece that I want to share is that I like to take breaks while I'm studying. If you find yourself studying for countless hours on end, your brain will eventually want to give up. This is why taking 2 hours to study then taking a 30 minute break can really help you focus longer and be more relaxed during your studying. 

I hope by reading this you can take away some bits of advice and some study tricks to help you ace your final exams!

Go Bears! 

Comments

  1. I agree that finals is not the time for procrastination and making sure you get some studying done each day is the best way. Lots of great advice here. I agree with making sure you take breaks and try not to cram too much. I'm also a big believer that writing down your notes and outlines and focusing on key points is so important. Review those items that you may not have done as well on during the semester to show mastery on the final exam. Hope you do great and stay focused over the next week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Future is Bright for ONU Men's Soccer!

It's Christmas Season!